- Vancouver’s Data Scientist Market
- Economic Value of Pacific Herring in the Strait of Georgia
- IUCN Classifier for Data Deficient Fishes
- IUCN Palette: An R package for customizing colours to the IUCN colour palette
SKILLS AND LANGUAGES
- Python, SQL, R
- Data visualization: plotly, ggplot2/plotnine, matplotlib
- Scikit-learn, pandas, Flask, tidyverse
- Dashboards: RShiny, dash, streamlit
- DevOps: AWS, GCP, Docker
Doctor of Philosophy in Resource, Environment and Sustainability
September 2017 - April 2020
University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC
- My thesis research focuses on impacts of fishing gear on ecosystems and economic trade-offs associated with fisheries and their resource use
Data Scientist Stream
DataQuest 2016 - 2017
- Courses in machine learning, data visualization, and command line
Master of Environmental Studies
September 2013 - June 2015
Dalhousie University; Halifax, NS (GPA 4.2/4.3)
- My thesis research focused on the environmental sustainability of fisheries’ products used in aquaculture feeds for Norwegian salmon feed and global reduction fisheries
Bachelor of Arts
September 2009 - April 2013
Huron University College at the University of Western Ontario (GPA 3.8/4.0)
- Bachelor of Arts with an honors double major in Global Development Studies and Biblical Studies.
Senior Data Scientist March 2021 - Present Lightspark Software
- Lead the development of Lightspark’s modelling approaches for residential buildings
- Automated our data ingestion, cluster modeling and report generation processes to improve our efficiency and consistency
- Developed the model evaluation framework used internally for testing and improvement.
- Built the data science backend API for our main consumer application using Flask framework.
Tech Stack: Python, R, SQL/Postgresql, Flask
Technologies: AWS, RDS, Docker, Mapbox
Data Science Lead, Special Projects
June 2020 - Present
Bio Conscious Technologies
- Developed and deployed an ML model to Google Cloud to alert users to high-risk events.
- Analyzed and modeled user data to evaluate user health outcomes after using our diabetes management app.
- Built a custom dashboard with Dash to keep our sales team up to date on user sign-up and use across our platforms.
Master’s of Data Science teaching assistant
September 2019 - April 2020
University of British Columbia
- Courses: Communication and Argumentation; Regression I; Feature and Model Selection; Experimentation and Causal Inference.
- Received a TA Award from the program for my teaching
January 2017-February 2019
- Fisheries economics researcher for NGOs on stock risk from overfished resources and consolidation in the BC herring fishery
Senior research assistant
Sea Around Us Project, University of British Columbia
October 2015 - July 2017
- Data cleaning and manipulation, updating and querying SQL database, and web scraping. www.seaaroundus.org
January 2014 - April 2015
- Teaching assistant (3 courses), research assistant (short-term)
For all publications and citation metrics, see Google Scholar
- Cashion, T., Nguyen, T., Ten Brink, T., Mook, A., Palacios-Abrantes, J., & Roberts, S. M. (2020). Shifting seas, shifting boundaries: Dynamic marine protected area designs for a changing climate. PloS one, 15(11), e0241771.
- Teh, Louise SL, et al. “Taking stock: a Large Marine Ecosystem perspective of socio-economic and ecological trends in East China Sea fisheries.” Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 30.2 (2020): 269-292.
- Martinell, D. P., Cashion, T., Parker, R., & Sumaila, U. R. (2020). Closing the high seas to fisheries: Possible impacts on aquaculture. Marine Policy, 115, 103854.
- Andrews, E. J., Harper, S., Cashion, T., Palacios-Abrantes, J., Blythe, J., Daly, J., … & Whitney, C. K. (2020). Supporting early career researchers: insights from interdisciplinary marine scientists. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 77(2), 476-485.
- Coulter, A., Cashion, T., Cisneros-Montemayor, A. M., Popov, S., Tsui, G., Le Manach, F., … & Pauly, D. (2020). Using harmonized historical catch data to infer the expansion of global tuna fisheries. Fisheries Research, 221, 105379.
- Andrews, E. J., Harper, S., Cashion, T., Palacios-Abrantes, J., Blythe, J., Daly, J., … & Bennett, N. (2020). Supporting early career researchers: insights from interdisciplinary marine scientists. ICES Journal of Marine Science.
- Cashion, T., de la Puente, S., Belhabib, D., Pauly, D., Zeller, D., & Sumaila, U. R. (2018). Establishing company level fishing revenue and profit losses from fisheries: A bottom-up approach. PloS one, 13(11), e0207768.
- Cashion, T., Al-Abdulrazzak, D., Belhabib, D., Derrick, B., Divovich, E., Moutopoulos, D. K., … & Pauly, D. (2018). Reconstructing global marine fishing gear use: Catches and landed values by gear type and sector. Fisheries research, 206, 57-64.
- Cisneros-Montemayor, A. M., Cashion, T., Miller, D. D., Tai, T. C., Talloni-Álvarez, N., Weiskel, H. W., & Sumaila, U. R. (2018). Achieving sustainable and equitable fisheries requires nuanced policies not silver bullets. Nature ecology & evolution, 2(9), 1334.
- Cashion, T., Glaser, S. M., Persson, L., Roberts, P. M., & Zeller, D. (2018). Fisheries in Somali waters: Reconstruction of domestic and foreign catches for 1950–2015. Marine Policy, 87, 275-283.
- Zeller, D., Cashion, T., Palomares, M., & Pauly, D. (2018). Global marine fisheries discards: A synthesis of reconstructed data. Fish and Fisheries, 19(1), 30-39.
- Tai, T. C., Cashion, T., Lam, V. W., Swartz, W., & Sumaila, U. R. (2017). Ex-vessel Fish Price Database: Disaggregating Prices for Low-Priced Species from Reduction Fisheries. Frontiers in Marine Science, 4, 363.
- Cashion, T., Tyedmers, P., & Parker, R. (2017). Global reduction fisheries and their products in the context of sustainable limits.
- Cashion T., Le Manach, F., Zeller, D., Pauly, D. (2017) Most fish destined for fishmeal are food-grade fish. Fish and Fisheries.
- Cashion, T., Hornborg, S., Ziegler, F., Hognes, E., & Tyedmers, P. (2016). Review and advancement of the marine biotic resource use metric in LCAs: a case study of Norwegian salmon feed. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 21(8): 1106-1120.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s Doctoral Fellowship– 2017 - 2020
- UBC Master’s of Data Science Teaching Assistant Award
- University of British Columbia 4-Year Fellowship– 2017-2020
- University of British Columbia Entrance Scholarship- 2017
- Nova Scotia Graduate Scholarship- 2014
- Dalhousie University Faculty of Graduate Studies Scholarship- 2013
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships- 2013
- Roland Vishnu Award in Global Studies- 2012
- Doris and Owen Foster Scholarship- 2011
- Jamie Grant Morden Prize- 2011
- Dean’s Honour List- 2009-2013
- Alexander Rutherford Scholarship- 2009
- Entrance Scholarship of Distinction- 2009