- Vancouver’s Data Scientist Market
- Economic Value of Pacific Herring in the Strait of Georgia
- IUCN Classifier for Data Deficient Fishes
- IUCN Palette: An R package for customizing colours to the IUCN colour palette
SKILLS AND LANGUAGES
- Proficient: R, Python, SQL
- Basic knowledge: HTML, CSS, Git
- Data visualization inclduing plotly, ggplot2/plotnine, matplotlib
Doctor of Philosophy in Resource, Environment and Sustainability
September 2017 - Present
University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC
- My thesis research focuses on impacts of fishing gear on ecosystems and economic trade-offs associated with fisheries and their resource use
Data Scientist Stream
DataQuest 2016 - 2017
- Courses in machine learning, data visualization, and command line
Master of Environmental Studies
September 2013 - June 2015
Dalhousie University; Halifax, NS (GPA 4.2/4.3)
- My thesis research focused on the environmental sustainability of fisheries’ products used in aquaculture feeds for Norwegian salmon feed and global reduction fisheries
Bachelor of Arts
September 2009 - April 2013
Huron University College at the University of Western Ontario (GPA 3.8/4.0)
- Bachelor of Arts with an honors double major in Global Development Studies and Biblical Studies.
- University of British Columbia — September 2019 - Present
- Master’s of Data Science teaching assistant. Courses: Communication and Argumentation; Regression I.
- Freelance consultant — January 2017-February 2019
- Fisheries economics researcher for NGOs on stock risk from overfished resources and consolidation in the BC herring fishery
- University of British Columbia — October 2015 - July 2017
- Senior research assistant for the Sea Around Us project. Data cleaning and manipulation, updating and querying SQL database, and web scraping. www.seaaroundus.org
- Dalhousie University — January 2014 - April 2015
- Teaching assistant (3 courses), research assistant (short-term)
For all publications and citation metrics, see Google Scholar
- Coulter, A., Cashion, T., Cisneros-Montemayor, A. M., Popov, S., Tsui, G., Le Manach, F., … & Pauly, D. (2020). Using harmonized historical catch data to infer the expansion of global tuna fisheries. Fisheries Research, 221, 105379.
- Andrews, E. J., Harper, S., Cashion, T., Palacios-Abrantes, J., Blythe, J., Daly, J., … & Bennett, N. (2020). Supporting early career researchers: insights from interdisciplinary marine scientists. ICES Journal of Marine Science.
- Cashion, T., de la Puente, S., Belhabib, D., Pauly, D., Zeller, D., & Sumaila, U. R. (2018). Establishing company level fishing revenue and profit losses from fisheries: A bottom-up approach. PloS one, 13(11), e0207768.
- Cashion, T., Al-Abdulrazzak, D., Belhabib, D., Derrick, B., Divovich, E., Moutopoulos, D. K., … & Pauly, D. (2018). Reconstructing global marine fishing gear use: Catches and landed values by gear type and sector. Fisheries research, 206, 57-64.
- Cisneros-Montemayor, A. M., Cashion, T., Miller, D. D., Tai, T. C., Talloni-Álvarez, N., Weiskel, H. W., & Sumaila, U. R. (2018). Achieving sustainable and equitable fisheries requires nuanced policies not silver bullets. Nature ecology & evolution, 2(9), 1334.
- Cashion, T., Glaser, S. M., Persson, L., Roberts, P. M., & Zeller, D. (2018). Fisheries in Somali waters: Reconstruction of domestic and foreign catches for 1950–2015. Marine Policy, 87, 275-283.
- Zeller, D., Cashion, T., Palomares, M., & Pauly, D. (2018). Global marine fisheries discards: A synthesis of reconstructed data. Fish and Fisheries, 19(1), 30-39.
- Tai, T. C., Cashion, T., Lam, V. W., Swartz, W., & Sumaila, U. R. (2017). Ex-vessel Fish Price Database: Disaggregating Prices for Low-Priced Species from Reduction Fisheries. Frontiers in Marine Science, 4, 363.
- Cashion, T., Tyedmers, P., & Parker, R. (2017). Global reduction fisheries and their products in the context of sustainable limits.
- Cashion T., Le Manach, F., Zeller, D., Pauly, D. (2017) Most fish destined for fishmeal are food-grade fish. Fish and Fisheries.
- Cashion, T., Hornborg, S., Ziegler, F., Hognes, E., & Tyedmers, P. (2016). Review and advancement of the marine biotic resource use metric in LCAs: a case study of Norwegian salmon feed. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 21(8): 1106-1120.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s Doctoral Fellowship – 2017 - 2021
- University of British Columbia 4-Year Fellowship – 2017-2021
- University of British Columbia Entrance Scholarship - 2017
- Nova Scotia Graduate Scholarship- 2014
- Dalhousie University Faculty of Graduate Studies Scholarship- 2013
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships- 2013
- Roland Vishnu Award in Global Studies- 2012
- Doris and Owen Foster Scholarship- 2011
- Jamie Grant Morden Prize- 2011
- Dean’s Honour List- 2009-2013
- Alexander Rutherford Scholarship- 2009
- Entrance Scholarship of Distinction- 2009